Thursday, February 25, 2010

One year later...

Sometimes, you don't truly appreciate what you have until it's gone.

My Dad was one of those types of people that was always doing little things that you didn't notice until he wasn't here anymore. He was so thoughtful.

He'd be in the store and see something (usually weird, random things) that he thought we might appreciate, so he'd buy it and bring it over. Whenever I called the house and he'd answer, he'd say, "Whatcha need?" That's just the kind of guy he was.

He gave the best hugs, the most sincere advice, and always had a listening ear (even when I was being irrational). He made all of us feel safe and loved.

I know he suffered every day, but he would often pretend that he wasn't hurting as much as he was and go out and do whatever we asked of him. He came to all of my kids games and dance recitals. He helped chauffeur the kids to practices. He was there when I was a working Mom to pick up sick kids from school.

I know how lucky I am to have had such an awesome Dad. I wish I told him more often how much he meant to me when he was here. I know he knew I loved him, but I should have said it more.

I love and miss you so much, Dad. I know I will see you again!

4 comments:

Kady said...

I can't believe it's been a year. Such an awesome guy. So thoughtful and sweet, he sure is missed.

Ticey said...

I can't believe it has all ready been a year. I didn't know your dad but he sure sounds like an awesome guy!!

Sierra said...

Oh Holly, I have been thinking about you and your mom and family all week. He was such a great dad to you and I know he is so proud of the person you have become. Hang in there!

The Smith crew said...

It probably hasn't felt like only 1 year to you and your family, but it does feel like time kind of stops once they are gone. Without my Dad it makes some days just feel like they are dragging. Thinking of you!