Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Snow Cold!

So, as many of you know, Jason is the Scout Master. This weekend is the annual Klondike Derby! I am so thankful that I am not a scout or a scout leader. The idea of spending the night in the snow does not sound like any fun. Jason reassures me that if built correctly, a snow cave will be at least 35'F inside. Yeah, that sounds toasty!

Building a snow cave is VERY tiring and time consuming. About six weeks ago, after a big snow storm, Jason decided he needed to get an idea of how much time it would take to build one. He went out to the backyard at 8:00 A.M. When the kids got home from school, they threw on their snow clothes and ran out to help him. They were full of excitement and anticipation. They lasted about 1/2 hour with their digging labors before they decided it was "boring, hard work!" Jason didn't get his cave finished until sunset that night! He was so tired. Seeing how our boys puttered out made him very worried about how he was going to get six caves built. He knew he couldn't do it on his own- and let's face it, 12 year olds can only do so much. He had to come up with a plan.

Yesterday, he rented a bobcat and took it up to his Aunt Karen's field in Eden. This is where they will be holding their Klondike on Friday night. He mounded up and packed six caves. His (way too nice) friend Travis went with him. It took the two of them all day to mound those with the machine. Today, he loaded up all the scouts, and they are off to dig them out. I hope they can get them all dug out and ready before it gets dark. Otherwise, they'll have more digging to do on Friday night. That won't be fun (as if any of it sounds fun to me)!

So, that's the scoop on what we have been doing all week: Preparing for the Klondike. At least Jason and the scouts are excited for it. It will be an adventure, that's for sure!

3 comments:

Chris and Kerri said...

That was nice of Travis to go and help. I am sure that Jason and the Scouts appreciate the help. Makes me feel blessed for my warm house!

*Mary* said...

That's funny! I don't know if you know this or not, but that house that Karen and Brian live in, use to be mine. My Dad built that house and if you go left instead of right, right there at the fork in the road, my parents live in the red house on the hill. What a crazy little world that we live in. Tell Jason not to dig around on the east side of the house by the garage, he'll get some dog bones:)

Bryon said...

I think I chose to sleep out side for my Klondike. There's not much I would do for a Klondike.